Tuesday, May 24, 2016

May 24, 2016 Montrose

I left St. George, Utah with little fanfare and no breakfast to charge into Indian Country, i.e., Navajoland.  My first waypoint was Hurricane, Utah.  It has changed significantly since I was last there (circa 1997).  The heretofore two-lane main street is now a five-lane boulevard and the once antiquated storefronts are new and shiny.  The town has expanded to the west with nationally recognized retailers, mostly fast food outlets. Hurricane continues to exist as a jump off point for the National Park recreation offers in the area; Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell, et al.  I am glad to see it is thriving.





From Hurricane, I proceeded along state highways 59 and 389 into Arizona and the little hamlet of Fredonia, Arizona.  I am convinced that Fredonia survives only to sell alcohol to persons of thirst preparing to travel into the National Park rich, but somewhat dry, Utah. I counted one gas station and three liquor stores among the four businesses in the town.  From Fredonia, the road turns north where in a matter of yards, you enter Kanab, Utah where you can buy the non-alcoholic provisions for your expedition. From Kanab, I had two choices to reach the day’s destination, Cortez, Colorado.



This gets confusing if you are not familiar with the area or if you do not have a map in your hand. Both options are numbered US-89.   I am not going to try to explain it verbally.  Let it suffice to say I took the leg that skirts the southern edge of the Escalante-staircase National Monument and it is spectacular.  For my money… well actually, it is fee free on US-89, it is the most impressive non-fee drive I have encountered.  Someday, it will be a destination; stay tuned.



This route eventually meanders to Page, Arizona; launching point for Lake Powell.  The water level in the lake is depressingly low.  Too bad, there are few locales in the world as stunning as Lake Powell from water level.  I got lost in Page.  It’s a lot easier than you think.  But it is a small town and in driving about looking for the road out, I wandered into an old part of town known as the little hotel district.  It’s actually one street lined with utilitarian rental complexes that look as if they were built for workers during the construction of Glen Canyon Dam.  Now they seem to operate as hostels for thrifty world travelers.  What do you think, Tumbleweed?



Finding my way out of Page (it was even odds) I took AZ-98 to the southeast to meet up with US-160 running northeast along the southern extreme of Monument Valley and Kayenta, Arizona.  Again, these are scarcely traveled highways that offer incomparable visuals.  I never tire of the experience.





Eventually the route takes you into more familiar geology and through some really ugly desert as you pass four corners (if you are unfamiliar with this term, look it up) and into Colorado.  Cortez is the first city you encounter; it’s life blood is farming and tourist services for nearby Mesa Verde National Park.  I found the lone surviving Mexican restaurant and enjoyed a cheese enchilada and tamale.  While there were quainter motels, I chose a Travel Lodge:  The photo below explains it all.

San Juan Mountains from Cortez

 
Cortez is a city by definition


No comments:

Post a Comment