Thursday, May 24, 2018

Yellowstone 2018-6


Reconsiderations

From Carson City, U.S.-395 continues on to Sin City, Jr., Reno.  Not being a gambler and wanting to avoid unprofitable ventures, I am glad the highway breezes around the downtown area on elevated roadway.  The route then veers northwest in a beeline back to California. The desert soon falls away behind and the climate zone soon turns alpine.  This is lumber country, so grab your axe and swing along.

Susanville., CA
What serves as a metropolis in this part of the state is Susanville which seems to be named for the Susan River (Oh, those explorers are known for their ability to make connections like that).  There are two industries of note:  Logging and tourism. As I had arrived in Susanville during the breakfast hour, I opted to try my luck at a local eatery named (wait for it…) The Lumberjack.  While clean and efficient, the décor harkens back to an era before IHOP and Denny’s cornered the corner on corner diners and restaurant owners felt obligated to contribute to the local cultural ethos.  In this case it was a gigantic lumberjack seemingly poised to smite with his mighty axe any wanderer who attempted to sneak by unfed.  As a bonus, the waitresses wore red and black flannel shirts and black slacks held judiciously in place by suspenders: Corny? Yes! Entertaining? Immensely!

Story of My Life
The after-breakfast plan was a trip to Lassen Volcanic Nat’l Park.  The park is a side trip of about ninety miles west of Susanville on CA-44.  It is a pleasant drive initially, but soon all of the trees began to look alike.  Pressure was beginning to assert itself against my bladder walls, so arrival was extremely timely.  Unfortunately, the park had not yet opened for the spring.  Thank heavens the visitor center was open.  There was a self-pay notice at the unmanned entry gate.  For those unfamiliar with the U.S.P.S fee pay honor system, it consists of dispensing empty envelopes which the tourist will then fill with cash and deposit into a locked receptacle.  I walked into the visitor center and seeing nary a ranger in sight, used the restroom and left, stiffing the government for $20.  These fees have ballooned in recent years. Crest fallen that I had missed yet another chance to throw myself into a gurgling cauldron of lava, I headed back to Susanville.

I secured lodging for the night (bug free I was assured) at the Best Western.  It seemed a bit of local reconnaissance was in order. Susanville is one of those towns that is just big enough to have spawned the de rigor national chains and I eventually ended up at the Target store.  I recall needing something but cannot bring to mind what it was.  I reckoned it was time to do some strategic review and plan assessment and where better than Starbucks.  I dialed up the computer guidance system of my vehicle and initiated a search for the nearest location. After all, I had just paid $200 to update the map set in my five-year-old Yukon.  Much to my embarrassment, it was one driveway away from my current location.

My original plan was to tour the length of U.S. 395 then swing back southeast and visit Yellowstone National Park.  As I sat on the hard, wooden seat at Starbucks, tracing the distance from Susanville to the Canadian border, I began to have doubts that I retained the stamina to pilot that route.  The primary event of this odyssey would be refocused to the first jewel in the crown of The National Park System, Yellowstone.  (Mr. Sulu, lay in a course for Old Faithful.)    

No comments:

Post a Comment