Saturday, May 26, 2018

Yellowstone 2018-9


What’s that Smell?


If you have not had the pleasure of taking accommodations at a five-star hotel and wish to in the future, I highly recommend you consider a visit to a National Park. Unlike city hotels, when you walk out the door you’re ‘promised a natural wonderland.  My experiences included Yosemite, Furnace Creek (Death Valley), Grand Canyon (multiple stays) and with this adventure, Yellowstone.  The condition of the properties is always top rate, even more astonishing when you consider the ages of each are over or approaching one hundred years.  And the level of service is of the highest caliber.  But as with anything special, there is a price. And there I will limit my dissertation on how much I paid for two-nights stay at the Lake Hotel.


Yellowstone National Park is more or less square shaped, tucked in the northwest corner of Wyoming. Within the park, there are five villages each offering accommodations, food service and access to park attractions. Lake Village is practically in the center of the park.  The intra park road system is shaped like a figure eight with arms reaching out to the various entrances (five).  When you consider a trip to Yellowstone, AAA publishes a map of the park and Grand Tetons Nat’l Park that will aid your planning considerably.

Yellowstone Nat’l Park is open year-round though access to any of the features may be closed due to snow.  I had planned my trip to coincide with the opening of the east entrance (exit for my trip) from Cody, Wyoming thereby allowing me to pass through the park without back tracking.  And though that proved successful, several of the park villages were still snow bound making access to some attractions impossible.  Their famous green bus tour was not in operation yet and that is something I would really like to have experienced.

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River
 I spent one full day driving the park roads and walking short trails to see certain geological phenomena. But then a geyser is a geyser and if I missed a few of them, I saw as many as I needed.  Among the curiosities at hand is the sulfur-dioxide odor emanating from the mud pots. Upon olfactory contact you will immediately be drawn into a sensory memory of high-school chemistry class. By far, my favorite spot was the falls of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River.

As I was alone, I did not take advantage of the main dining rooms offerings.  But my experience in other parks has been nothing short of epicurean bliss.  I did trade at the hotel deli which offers sandwiches, site made cookies, prepacked snacks and of course, Starbucks coffee (no blended drinks).
  


No comments:

Post a Comment