Saturday, May 26, 2018

Yellowstone 2018-7


Going the Distance

Mapping the route from Susanville, California to Wyoming and Yellowstone was no mean feat.  It is a fur piece and there are no major connecting highways.  Susanville does not lie directly on U.S. 395 but is just a tad west. The easiest way to explain it is “the triangle of confusion” (Is he going to the Bahamas?): entering from the south, U.S. 395 doubles back on itself a few miles outside of Susanville.  In the meantime, the traveler must enter the town via CA-36 with no obvious indication that one has changed route numbers. The natural progression then when leaving Susanville is to drive north while U.S. 395 is racing speedily eastward. The navigation system was struggling to find the words that would alert me to this situation; apparently TOM-TOM does not build stupid, jackass, or f#$%head into its argot of navigation language. Being the seasoned land navigator I boast to be, it wasn’t long ere I recognized the problem and eschewed the GPS guidance for my trusty AAA Map (free to members) and solved the riddle. A few turns here and there put me back on U.S. 395 en route, well I wasn’t sure.

U.S. 395 traveled north into Oregon and continued for about one hundred miles to junction with U.S. 20.  They join for twenty-eight miles then separate at the town of Burns.  One might be asking why this detail is necessary (Yeah, I was wondering at his wandering!): It’s because there is nothing else to write about.

This night, I stayed at Burns, Oregon because I was afraid that the blank space on the map might drop off the edge of the earth in the dark of night.  I can honestly say this was among the three most desolate stretches of highway I have ever traveled.  If I had been told I was in Nevada, I would have believed it. The blankness was so overwhelming I honestly cannot bring to mind the motel in which I stayed. It reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode. I kept a wary eye on the road shoulder but didn’t see William Shatner.

The next morning the highway crossed Stinking Water Pass (El. 4,968 ft).  It then descended into a lush green valley with rolling hills and irrigated farming plots. It was what one would expect from Oregon.  I stopped for breakfast at the Oasis café in the farming town of Juntura (pronounced Jun-tur-ah, with a hard “J” according to the citizens, despite the word being Spanish for juncture).  The special was cinnamon roll French toast. I was over the heebie-jeebies; only in a safe world can cinnamon roll French toast exist.  Just before crossing the border into Idaho, U.S. 20 joined I-80 which carried me past Boise and on to Mountain Home, the community attached to Mountain Home Air Force Base (go figure).

The next morning, as I was gassing up for the day, I witnessed an Idaho Highway Patrol unit charge onto the freeway going CODE-3.  For the uninitiated, this means he was using his emergency lights and siren to clear traffic.  This is usually an indication of a life-or-death matter.  I finished my pit stop and proceeded southwest.  After a few miles, traffic began to build, slow and then come to a complete stop. “Damn!” I thought to myself, “this is a fatal accident and were going to be here for hours while the Patrol Officers collect evidence.”  Isn’t this what I left California to get away from?

A few miles later I had approached close enough to interpret the scene.  There was a fire fighter standing on the shoulder with a couple of civilians watching the wheel bearings of a small utility trailer burning.  I’ve never connected the concept of excitement to Idaho; now I have first-hand experience that supports my suspicions.  The whole delay was being caused by looky-loos.

About thirty miles east of Boise, U.S.-20 detaches from I-84 and continues east as a rural highway joining U.S.-93 at Craters of the Moon Nat’l Mon.  This is a lava field created by the most recent eruption of the Yellowstone super volcano (about sixty million years, give or take an eon). I believe I covered this in Wyoming 2010 blog.  Once again, the visitors’ center restroom is the star attraction.  I continued on another eighty miles or so to Idaho Falls, Idaho.  It seemed to be the typical agriculture support city, but with a huge Mormon Temple.  The edifice speaks for itself in terms of culture.  Not a lot of tattooed skate boarders hanging out in the supermarket parking lots.





No comments:

Post a Comment